Saturday, May 06, 2006

Culture Shock


Ah, my heart is broken...but I've learned that pride DOES "goeth before a fall"...

Last week I had an appointment (sales call) at the Hong Kong equivalent of our US College Board (the agency who administers and scores college entrance exams). I went with one of my colleagues (a woman). This woman is of Chinese descent, was born and escaped from Viet Nam during the time of the "boat people", and was raised in Perth. How's that for multi-cultural!

On the way back from the meeting, we were walking through one of the areas of Hong Kong that seems to be from a century ago - open air stalls (reminds me of New York street fair for those of you who know of what I speak), lots of price negotiations, crowded and lively.

We passed by a booth that had lovely lacey crocheted "over-things" - and by this, I mean things under which you would HAVE to wear another garment, or risk being arrested for lewdness. With my current experiment into knitting lace, plus my years of crochet under my belt, I turned to my colleague (with some amount of pride in my voice) and said, "I can make things like this!"

She turned to me and said, "But why, when you can buy them?"

I looked at her aghast, and blurted out, "But that's not the POINT!!!" But realized, in Hong Kong, I was fighting a losing battle....

Culture shock...

1 Comments:

Blogger Cassia said...

*gasp* Clearly not someone who appreciates the fiber arts. Thankfully, I am surrounded by those who do. My boyfriend, in fact, has known how to crochet for years and happily allowed me to teach him to knit. Knitting and crocheting are sooo soothing! And this bit you've displayed is lovely. It actually reminds me of my baby blanket, which was knit for me by some relative I don't recall meeting. 36 years later, I still have and cherish it, mends and all.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home